It’s official: the esports jobs market is booming. According to esports employment site Hitmarker, the amount of available global esports industry jobs during 2019 increased by 87% compared to the previous year. In 2018, 5,896 jobs were listed compared to 11,027 in 2019. This is a big deal for an industry that is still growing and proving its staying power to skeptical holdouts.

Esports Jobs
Esports Jobs

Jobs in esports have a history of being volunteer-based. Many current esports professionals tout a history of volunteerism because they started careers at a time where available paid positions either didn’t exist or were too few to sustain. Thankfully times have changed and increased investments in esports have ensured that more jobs come with a salary: paid opportunities went up from 4,591 to 9,705 from 2018 to 2019 (a growth rate of 111.39%). Paid positions also rose in proportion to unpaid ones by a healthy 10.14% (77.87% of the total in 2018 to 88.01% in 2019).

One of the main reasons why esports job opportunities have grown so much is the expansion of esports interests in the United States. Historically, esports took off in markets like South Korea, Sweden, and Germany before attracting American interests. In 2019, there were 2,713 listings from the U.S., compared to 6,215 in 2019 which is an overall increase of 129.08%. If anything, this is one of the major indicators of the future longevity of esports.

esports jobs growth
Infographic credit: HitmarkerJobs

The impressive growth of 210.67% in eSports jobs, In a period where individuals regularly question the financial stability in esports, Looks like now’s a safe time to start a career in esports.

The most widely recognized period of esports jobs searcher has additionally observed some change. The level of 25-34 years of age searching for employments withing esports expanded from 44.52 percent to 52.45 percent, overwhelming the 18-24 age section which is at 36.77 percent.

Rich Huggan, says

It’s incredibly exciting to see so many jobs opening up in esports globally, giving more and more people the opportunity to turn their passion into a career. We’re grateful to be able to play our part in this by providing job seekers with a definitive list of esports jobs, and employers with talented staff.

The numbers in our infographic show incredible growth in 12 short months, though there is still work to be done in addressing the gender-split of job seekers and in seeing the number of unpaid roles continue to decrease. HitmarkerJobs.com will strive to be at the helm of this change as we aim to professionalize the hiring space in both esports and gaming.

Rich Huggan, Managing Director of HitmarkerJobs

also read: Indian eSports Money

eSports Viewership is Growing

Since 2016, one of the main reasons for esports job growth is that there has been an increment in eSports watchers, between 2016 and 2017, there was a 19.3% expansion year over year. In 2017, there were 192 million casual viewers and 143 million enthusiasts, making them all crowd of 335 million.

In 2018, the year-over-year rate had marginally dropped at 13.8% despite the fact that that is as yet a sizeable increment. In 2018, there were 215 million casual viewers and 165 million fans. So the crowd size grew to 380 million.

By 2021, Newzoo predicts that the yearly growth rate of viewers will be roughly 14%. They also predict that the casual watchers will be 307 million. What’s more, that there will be 250 million eSports enthusiasts, making them all crowd of 557 million.

eSports viewership
Image Source: Newzoo

So you can see that there has been a steady growth in eSports viewership and the pattern is probably going to proceed in the coming years. The expansion isn’t simply restricted to eSports fans; there appears to likewise be an expansion in individuals who watch esports casually. This is likely a consequence of increasing awareness about eSports and ease of access to the internet.

Furthermore, streaming platforms like Twitch, YouTube, Facebook also see growth in their viewers. We wonder what will change going into 2020!

also read: Biggest earnings in eSports


0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *